Sunday, July 8, 2012

Coolbellup Primary School

Australia...
Perth...
Fremantle...
Coolbellup...
Satu kenangan menggamit hati..


Seringkali aku bermimpi aku berada di sana..
Barangkali aku rindu pada saat-saat di sana, yang terang-terangan jauh berbeza dari Malaysia..


I was there almost three and a half year... although it is not very long, being there has teached a lot of things.. I grew up there.. from 11 until 15 years old..


Its really different there, not comparing to Malaysia but I felt it when I came back to Malaysia in 2004..
The life, friends, teachers, school, surroundings and the community.. Not forgetting the 'aussie slang'..


Whenever I am alone, I kept on thinking of my life in Coolbellup.. I don't know why, but if I ever get the chance to go back there (even just a visit), I would not miss it.. 


Looking back at the time when I first got there..


My dad, two brothers and sister and me arrived in Perth at the end of year 2000. At that time I was about 11 years old, which is 'darjah 5' but over there, I got in year 6 class.. 


I went to a normal Australian school, Coolbellup primary school.. A very small school but very welcoming and warm environment, just like living in the valley.. School starts at 9.00am until 3.00pm. But, there is a break between it. Two breaks. one at 10.30 am and one at 12.30pm..


I was the only one wearing hijab (tudung) in the school and everyone was looking really weird at me, maybe it is their first time seeing a muslim girl, or get closed to.. 


At that time, I couldn't even speak a single word in English, and I don't understand at all what everyone was saying, including the teacher.. It was really hard.. I was REALLY bad in English.. Maybe that's why Allah sent me there..


Alhamdulillah, there was a Malaysian mixed Aussie male student in my class, Azhar (a year younger than me but got into the same class) who was my translater for about a month. Everytime the teacher wanted to tell me something, or ask, she would ask Azhar to translate for her in BM.. It was really embarrassing since I was not able to speak and communicate with them in English..


To my surprise, it only took me about a month to speak fluently.. And, not long after that, I started to speak using Aussie slang.. I once heard that when you are in a foreign country and mixing with the community, soon you will be able to speak just like them.. I guess it is true, since i experienced it... ^^,


The classroom was small, and all year 5, 6 and 7 were combined in one class (since the school is small).. The desk was arranged in 'half a circle' facing the blackboard. There was 2 computers, 1 book shelf and 'small store' in the classroom.. When it was reading time, each one of us must get a book and read... quite fun..


As a muslim, one MUST pray.. Due to this, my dad went and ask for the principal's permission for me to pray in class during break.. So, I actually pray in class during break. I brought along my 'telekung' and pray.. There was this one time, my friend ask if they can watch me when I pray.. Why not, that was a good opportunity to show them the life of a Muslim.. 


In my year 6 and 7 in this school, I played cricket and baseball for my class.. I also learned cooking, painting and art.. In the middle of that year, I teached them how to play 'zero point'.. It was fun introducing the Malaysian game to them.. oh, how I miss that moment. Just playing happily among them..


Since I don't have chemistry with men, I fight a lot with them.. I could still remember the dark history, which leaves a deep revenge toward men.. It feels as if it just happens yesterday...


Adam.. I can still remember his name.. He was a problematic student in school and like to pick a fight with me.. There was this one time, we fought and he pulled my head cover down from the back.. I shouted as hard as I can and cry loudly.. I was shocked.. no one has ever done that to me.. It was racism.. Alhamdulillah, the inner hair cover did not came off..


The teacher gave him a counselling sessions and he was grounded from coming to school for a week.. Even the non-Muslim respect us, not considering which religion they are.. Its called human sense.. That was the first and it was the last.. I hope..


Being in that school with that kind of surrounding, has thought me a lot.. But I was very childish and stubborn at that time. I wanted to win and take revenge on all men, for discrimination.. It was stupid of me.. Almost every male student in that school hated me.. Hated my behaviour..


Now, as I get older and matured, I become wiser. Sometimes I regret of doing what I have done in the past. It doesn't even show the characteristic of a Muslim. It doesn't reflect me as a Muslim.. Deep in my heart, I am praying so that they (the victims) will no be affected by what I have done to them.. They will not look down on all Muslims out there just because of what I did to the in the past..


Whatever happens in the past, I will not regret it (at least I will try).. Its not good, its not what Islam has thought us.. Its just not in line with Islam..


I Don't regret it.. It is a part of TAQDIR.. 


These days, I kept on dreaming of going back there.. Living there... I don't understand what it means.. But I REALLY miss Perth.. Miss it A LOT..




That is the story of my primary school.. It wasn't very interesting but full of lessons.. Maybe next time, I will shared my experienced during my high school..


Oh Allah.. The Al Mighty..
There must be a reason for You to put me in that situations..
Now I understand..


Buat teman-temanku.. Hargailah sesuatu sebelum anda kehilangannya... Buatlah sesuatu sebaik mungkin sebelum anda menyesal.. 


~Pengalaman banyak mengajarku dan membentuk diriku seperti sekarang~

No comments:

Post a Comment